VIKANE GAS FUMIGATION?
ANSWERS ABOUT VIKANE GAS FUMIGATION
Vikane is a colorless, odorless, non-sustaining, non-corrosive and non-flammable gas. This fumigant penetrates deep into wood to eliminate Dry wood termites. When the tents are removed, Vikane dissipates into the atmosphere and does not deplete the ozone.
GETTING READY FOR YOUR TENT FUMIGATION
THE DAY BEFORE THE FUMIGATION
- Water the soil up to 18 inches from the outer walls of your home to protect outdoor plants and shrubs.
- Cut back foliage, shrubbery and landscaping at least 18 inches from the structure to allow room for tarps.
- Remember to make arrangements for overnight accommodations for you and your pets, as your home may be under fumigation for 24 – 48 hours.
- Notify all neighbors with pets of your fumigation. For the safety of their pets, they need to be kept inside, or otherwise prevented from entering your home during the fumigation process.
Your home will remain locked following the aera tion process.
One of our certified technicians will later return to your home to monitor the levels of gas remaining in the structure. When these levels are at a reading of 5 parts of fumigant per 1million parts of air or less, the structure will then be cleared and safe for re-entry.
There is NO NEED TO WASH any of your clothing, linens, dishes,or utensils.
At Kama’aina Termite & Pest Control our friendly staff will help you determine additional items that need to be bagged or removed prior to fumigation. A good rule of thumb is, “when in doubt, take it out.” Here are some examples.
BAG OR REMOVE THESE ITEMS
- Chips,pasta, rice & other foods packaged in plastic bags
- Cereals, crackers and other foods packaged in cardboard boxes (ev.en if the boxes have never been opened)
- Spices, salt and pepper shakers, and other items where the seal has been broken
- Ice, opened bottled drinking water
- Butter,cream cheese and any other items stored in a resealed container, including items stored in Tupperware containers
- Fruits and vegetables
- Bags of pet food and bird seed,as well as opened cans
YOU NEED NOT BAG OR REMOVE THESE ITEMS
- Unopened cans (including home-canned goods)
- Cosmetics,such as lipstick
- Unopened soda cans and glass bottles
- Shampoo, soaps, unopened toothpaste and mouthwash
- Unopened bottles of liquor & wine (stored horizontally
THE DAY OF THE FUMIGATION
- Remove all plants from your home, including those on outdoor patios.
- Evacuate all people and pets from the structure.
- Remove mattresses completely enveloped in plastic, such as baby mattresses with waterproof covers,or remove the covers themselves.
- Remove or bag any food,feed,drugs, and medicines in special Nylofume bags provided by your fumigator. You do not need to remove items in plastic,glass or metal bottles, cans or jars with the original manufacturer’s airtight seal intact.
- Seal the Nylofume bags one at a time by twisting the tops, or folding down and sealing with tape, twisty ties, string or rubber bands. Your fumigator will provide special instructions on proper bagging procedures for you.
- Bag cold and frozen foods and leave them in the refrigerator and freezer.Remove shelves from the refrigerator and freezer to make it easier to stack the bags inside. Be sure to remove or bag anything that will be ingested (medicines,spices etc.)
When the tarps are removed, and it is safe to reenter your home, you will be notified. It is unnecessary to wash dishes, linens, clothing, etc., as Vikane is a gas and will dissipate from the structure. Remember, once your fumigation is complete, every Drywood Termite in your structure should be eliminated.
Download Fumigation Instructions